Re: [OM] Father, forgive me...

Subject: Re: [OM] Father, forgive me...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 07:57:38 -0400
Although I shoot with a Canon I don't own any Canon lenses let alone L
lenses.  But Canon has been on a redesign kick in 2009 and 2010.  Not
much of anything with primes but they redid the 16-35/2.8L in 2009 and
it's a much different lens than its predecessor.  The 16:9 site which is
obsessed with finding the best wide angle performance for Canons (and is
willing to marry up any lens to get there) gives the Mark II version
high marks.  It comes very close to the Leica 19mm and even bests the
Zuiko 18mm in all categories except distortion where it still comes very
close.

Summary <http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/canon1635ii_a/c1635ii_a11.html>
Full test <http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/canon1635ii_a/c1635ii_a1.html>
Ratings criteria are here: <http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/ratings.html>

The older and much cheaper Canon 17-40/4 L also performs quite well for
a zoom... assuming you can find a good sample (which he considers a
problem).  Sample testing is also something he has done much of.

Chuck Norcutt