Re: [OM] Planned Obsolescence

Subject: Re: [OM] Planned Obsolescence
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 11:12:46 -0700
> From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Do I need an Apple II to run it? ;)

No, but it won't run on Mac OS X. It comes with a PowerMac 9500 running Mac OS
9.2.2 (the last update to pre OS X). I'll even include a copy of Photoshop 5!
:-)

> Seriously though, a desktop drum scanner sounds awesome and extremely
> impractical.  How long does it take you to scan a roll of film?

"Desktop" only if you have an entire desk to devote to it.

It's been a while since I ran it, but I seem to recall it takes a couple hours
to do four 4"x5" trannies at highest res. It's much quicker at lower res, or if
you don't cover the entire length of the drum. (Mounting two 4"x5" trannies
horizontally next to each other takes twice as long to scan as mounting them
vertically next to each other.)

As for "extremely impractical," it's only a bit less practical than shooting
film these days. But it is certainly "awesome" to show off to visitors.