Re: [OM] Odd behavior E-30

Subject: Re: [OM] Odd behavior E-30
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:41:48 -0300
Well, I don't think I can hold 'my own opinion' on tinnitus.

I found myself interested on it when became aware I was hearing some
ringing, and that it changed loudness regardless my exposure to sound
pressure: during 2008 I stopped listening to music for three months
but it remained, sometimes more noticeable and sometimes less so.
Sound pressure seems not to be the only cause, but some degree of
hearing loss is implied, AFAIK.
Then I found this article ( ... from Stereophile magazine !) - and am
pasting only part of it. Full version at:
<http://www.stereophile.com/news/neuromonics_tinnitus_breakthrough/>

February 17, 2010 —

..... these sounds are not being perceived from the outside world.
Instead, they are being generated within the auditory system. In some
cases, the effect is temporary, but ....

The condition remains mysterious, ....  change the activity level of
the auditory nerves. This change is interpreted by the auditory cortex
of the brain, which leads the individual to perceive sounds. One
theory suggests that tinnitus is the brain's compensation for hearing
loss. ....

Because tinnitus occurs deep within the brain, it is very difficult to
treat effectively. However, a company called Neuromonics has developed
a new treatment that shows great promise.

****Based on the principle of neural plasticity (the brain's ability
to form new neural pathways)****, the Neuromonics system uses an
iPod-like device to deliver broadband noise with a frequency and
intensity spectrum tailored specifically to each user's hearing
profile. This reduces the neural sensitivity that starts the vicious
cycle.

The Neuromonics system addresses the perceptual filters using
systematic desensitization.

Initial results have been very encouraging.

Tinnitus may become severe, and in these cases this device could be helpful.
But recently, I stopped my own indication of escitalopram to a patient
who had started a mild tinnitus, and it disappeared. Fortunately, she
recovered from her depressive episode by means of psychotherapy alone.

Fernando.