Re: [OM] OM wides (21/2, et al)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM wides (21/2, et al)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:31:15 -0400
Me thinks you guys are being overly severe.  I distinctly remember the
200/4 having an apparently sympathetic vibration problem.  I haven't
checked all the lenses yet but I did look over a lot of them up to 135mm
and don't see any significant problem there.  It's very difficult to get
a true indication of the difference between mirror lock on the OM-1 and
mirror pre-fire on the 2s and up.  The problem is that most of the tests
using different cameras also use different samples of the lenses.  In
most cases the differences don't amount to a full grade and, since they
aren't paired tests, it's not valid to evaluate one as better than
another.  Probably the biggest shock is not the effect of the diaphragm
slap but the performance difference of different lens samples.

Perhaps I'd find more trouble above 135mm but I got tired of looking and
comparing.  For hand held shooting I doubt there's a problem at all and,
of course, on a tripod you can generally exert a lot of control.

Chuck Norcutt