Re: [OM] OM wides (21/2, et al)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM wides (21/2, et al)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:17:35 -0500
> As shown so clearly by Gary Reese in his comprehensive tests of lenses,
> using several OM body designs, the vibration induced in the Zuiko lenses by
> the aperture stop-down system was/is so bad as to quite undermine the
> excellent optics. If you are not familiar with this series of tests, look at
> the
> LHS menu at Ken's site http://zone-10.com/cmsm/  and you will find one
> version of it there. Take a good look.

You are absolutely correct!  That vibration issue is very severe, but
does have a few caveats.

1. When handheld, the aperture stop-down vibration was absorbed by the
mass of the hands as well as any attached motordrive or winder. The
weak link then becomes the human's ability to hold the camera steady
which is another story in itself. Therefore, the stop-down vibration
was always going to be lesser than other vibration.

2. When tripod mounted for maximum sharpness, people used self-timer
anyway to avoid human-induced vibration. Other than the OM-1, OM-3 and
OM-3Ti, the self-timer addressed this issue.

I almost exclusively use the OM-3Ti handheld without motordrive, but
the OM-4T is used exclusively with the motordrive and anything
critical is always tripod-mounted and delayed.

...it is still a pain, though...

AG