Re: [OM] fast wides, et al

Subject: Re: [OM] fast wides, et al
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:24:39 -0400
Nice shots with the 21/2 Nick. Indeed it's usable for people shots, if you are
careful with placement in the frame. I haven't used mine in a while but I do
remember loving it the last time I used it a year or so ago. Close up/wide open
shots with that lens are cool.

If you like the 21/2, and end up with a Mamiya 7, the 43mm for that camera will
be like dying and going to heaven. It's better in all ways than the 21/2 with
the exception of speed (and hence, bokeh wide open) and of course
close-focusing (limited due to the nature of the camera).  But in all other
regards, it's amazing. insanely sharp into the corners. No distortion.

The 65 is a good walkaround lens on the Mamiya 7. I use that and the 80 for
walkaround lenses. The 65 is a little better in specs/test results (at least
from Pop photo when they tested it) but all the lenses are so excellent it's
hard to quantify the differences between that and the 80 - both are crazy
sharp.

The other thing the Mamiya 7 system shares with OM is the devotion to being
small. The whole Mamiya 7 kit I have can easily be carried in a small backpack
(Tamrac Adventure 7  / 5547). That backpack will easily hold the M7, 5 lenses,
2 viewfinders, a flash, Minolta flashmeter, a dozen rolls of film, 3-4 filters,
all the hoods, and still have room for a few more things.

I have some tests/reviews from Modern Photo and Pop Photo and other magazines,
of the Mamiya 7 (and a ton of OM gear too) posted at:
http://www.edsawyer.com/lenstests/

-Ed