Re: [OM] OM Fast Wides, WA in general

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Fast Wides, WA in general
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:46:02 -0500
> Ken, yes, the 1-4 is easier to focus, but I'm talking about the 1-4N
> screen--it came later in OM production, has a finer matte resulting in a
> brighter screen, but doesn't completely lose contrast in an OM-1/2 like the
> 2-4 screen is prone to doing.

Interesting. I thought the 1-4n just added the circle. But it does
make sense that Olympus improved the matte a little. It was definitely
a bit coarse, except the 1-4 I had did have a finer pitch matte in the
middle zone.

> But I don't really like the OM-2S and I'm selling it, so it's moot.

The OM-2S isn't for everyone. My biggest problem with it is the
viewfinder clarity. My eyes are needing the Diopter adjustment of the
OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti. I have a corrective optic in the OM-2S viewfinder,
but it adds to a bit of flare.

> Dawid, you see my reasoning here.  I was going to pare down to a three lens
> kit of 24/50/100.  I like the logic of doubling focal lengths, and I really
> like the way a two lens kit of 24/50 or 24/100 works.

For quite a while, maybe four years or so, I had settled in on a
two-lens kit most of the time. 24/2.8 and 100/2.8. My original
configuration was 35/2.8 and 100/2.8. But then the dastardly
acquisition-mode kicked in... Tom Scales was evil--EVIL I tell you!
;)

My "death grip" lenses remain the 35/2.8 and 100/2.8. When all else
goes, those two will remain. I was feeling a little guilty about
neglecting the 35/2.8, so a few days ago I shot exclusively the 35/2.8
on an entire roll of film.  Aaahhh.  It's amazing how simplifying like
that (and not having the ability to chimp your shots) really improves
your awareness of picture opportunities around you. Instead of
thinking about the camera, lens choices, the white-balance,
highlight-recovery, dusty sensors, battery life, exposure
compensation, ISOs and whether or not you left the empty coffee pot on
at home, you just look for things that fit your rectangle.

I do prefer having the choices, though, of what to take on any given shoot.

AG