Re: [OM] Large sensor schmutz--Please stat page Dr. Sensor Cleaner

Subject: Re: [OM] Large sensor schmutz--Please stat page Dr. Sensor Cleaner
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 08:28:00 -0400
I consider the sensorscope to be expensive overkill for what's really a
very simple problem.  This subject seems to be something frought with
FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

The first step is to get the large and possibly abrasive stuff off the
sensor.  The large Rocket Blower works well for this and is not terribly
expensive although, as mentioned, a large ear syringe from the drug
store can work well too.  The large Rocket Blower can move lots of air.

The second step is to remove the smaller stuff with a brush as I have
outlined here several times before.  I find that this is generally
effective down to f/11 which covers most of my photography.  f/16 and
smaller *may* require more work is some small stuff is "welded on".
<http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.pdf>

If stuff still persists try the Sensor-Klear as Moose suggested.  That
may be sufficient.  Otherwise try liquid cleaning.  I use Eclipse
(methanol) but some cameras require Eclipse II (ethanol) since methanol
may (gulp) dissolve the coating on the filter in front of the sensor.  I
believe the 5D Mk II (unlike the 5D) would succumb to methanol.

I do use Swiffer dusters for many dusting tasks but I've never tried
them for sensor cleaning.  I don't know how the chemicals on the Swiffer
might react with the coatings on the sensor filter.  AG, however, does
do this with his E1 (?).  I suspect it's probably OK for the 5D and
would probably work well but I've had no need to take that risk yet.
I feel the same about Moose's use of canned "air".  It probably works
very well but risky if you release some liquid.

Chuck Norcutt