Re: [OM] IMG: Early Autumn

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Early Autumn
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:59:22 -0400
Well, precise calibration is what's called for, but if you ain't got
it, then you gotta use Kentucky windage. You've already reduced your
brightness, which is good. Letting photoshop manage colors is good. My
advice would be to get a pack of inexpensive Epson Ultra Premium
Presentation Matte paper and start printing. Look at the paper, not
the monitor. Make adjustments to the image that reflect what you want
to see on paper, no matter how crappy it looks on the monitor. It's
hard to do at first, but gets easier with time.

In the first print window, over on the right side, look to see what
printer profile photoshop is using. The profile should match the
printer and the paper. If it's Epson printer and Epson paper, the
profile should be there, but you might have to hunt it down. Not hard
to do. If it's not there, download the correct profile from the Epson
web site. Believe me, having the correct printer profile makes a huge
difference.

Then in the second print window, which is actually the printer driver,
make sure all the settings are correct. Size, paper, etc.

Then just start printing, and make adjustments based on the print, not
the monitor. Natch, you want to do this with a copy of the original
file. You might also want to make your adjustments on separate layers,
so you can go back and fiddle some more.

Good luck. It'll be worth it.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com