Re: [OM] IMG: Applying Fill Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Applying Fill Flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:21:00 -0400
My personal opinion of the 6 volt limit is "hogwash".  People use their
T-32s on E-510s and other E-thingies all the time.  The T-32 runs around
11-12 volts.  Perhaps you got your info from Olympus America who just
happens to also sell the Wein Safe-Sync after spreading the FUD.  Ask
Olympus Europe and you get a different (and to me a more reasonable)
answer.  See:
<http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1284.html>
where Andrew Martin says:

"I have a lot of moneysworth of old flashguns, and I asked Olympus
Europe what the safe trigger voltage limit was for the E-510. They said
200V! This was a surprise, especially as the FAQ on the Olympus US site
said 6V was the safe limit. I contacted them both, and pointed out the
difference in advice. The Europe site said they had checked with the
engineers, and they repeated that 200V is safe. The US site said that
although 200V won't immediately fry the E-510's electronics, it won't do
it any good in the long term. It may be complete coincidence, but
Olympus US resells a device called a Wein Safe-Sync (look it up on
google) which isolates digital camera electronics from big trigger
voltages - worth the 40 quid or so for complete peace of mind maybe."

At Olympus America, even the FAQ for the E-3 (their highest cost
professional camera) says the trigger voltage is limited to 6 volts.
That says that a great many studio strobes couldn't be used without a
Safe-Sync.  Sorry, I don't buy it.

As I said before, there is no voltage warning at all in the E-510 manual
although it does warn about possible problems with incompatible TTL and
other non-trigger contacts.  It's your camera and your risk but I know
what I'd do.

Chuck Norcutt