[OM] Yellow Jackets [was: Re: IMG: Crab Spider]

Subject: [OM] Yellow Jackets [was: Re: IMG: Crab Spider]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:07:58 -0700
> From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> The most dangerous insect we encounter, aside from the infrequent
> black
> widow, is the yellow jacket, which builds its nest in the ground.
> If you
> walk over a nest with a walking mower you are in for trouble.

An amazing fact: their visual system is optimized for motion, and you
are essentially invisible and not a threat if you don't move. Also,
they can sense your fear via pheromones.

Numerous times, I've outwitted yellow jackets by remaining absolutely
still and calm.

One time, a few of us were splitting up rounds for firewood. We were
digging them out of underbrush, and dislodged a hornet nest in logging
slash, a favourite habitat.

My helpers ran screaming from the scene, and were followed by clouds
of hornets. Each suffered multiple stings.

I was closest to the nest, and was holding a 50 pound Doug Fir round.
I closed my eyes, forced myself to breathe slowly, mentally calmed
myself, and stood stock still. My friends reported that a small swarm
of hornets came for me, circled me several times, then went back to
the nest. With aching arms from holding the firewood, I opened my eyes
and slowly backed away from the nest, halting for a few seconds
whenever a hornet would head my way. I was the only one of us without
stings that day.

It takes a lot of nerve, but what do you have to lose if you think
you're going to get stung anyway?

> ... a full can of hornet spray,

Ugh. I'd rather be stung by a hornet than spread liquid cancer around
my house.