Re: [OM] Visited Macau

Subject: Re: [OM] Visited Macau
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:38:46 -0500
> I still think about 4x5 discipline when I'm out, but there's a certain
> seductive quality about mashing that release button as many times as
> you see fit. <g>

Man, I hear ya.  I too have really gotten into the "mash the button"
mode for the past few years. It's liberating to say the least.

But, in my specific case has it resulted in better photography?
Absolutely, because I've taken on risky low-yield shots that would
cost a fortune in film to accomplish. But on the flip side, of the
normal run-of-the-mill landscapy type of fodder, I'm convinced that
digital has been a curse to me. I don't pre-think the shots to the
same degree I do with film. As such, I overlook a lot of finer points
in the photograph and end up not seeing the stray branch lurking in
the corner or empty beer can on the ground.

Another aspect, which I've discussed ad-nausum is "eye-flow". When
composing 4x5, I'm very cognizant of eye-flow throughout the picture.
With the OM cameras I'm OK with it, but in digital, I'm a lost cause.
It is really hard for me to do this because the viewfinder's contrast
is off and the live-view screens are difficult to use outdoors.

This is something the Nikons are good at, though. The viewfinder
contrast is snappy and a bit more "in your face" which helps give a
clarity that encourages further image analysis.

AG