Re: [OM] IMG: Another Skipper

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Another Skipper
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:01:24 -0500
> Thanks, Chuck.  I must admit, shooting close with AF is much faster.  This
> subject wasn't going anywhere.

I've always fought forward/backward motion when shooting this
close--especially handheld. It got to be a major point of frustration
for me. At some point a few years ago I started shooting field macro
with flash. There are ways to make it look pretty natural. Well, I was
doing almost exclusively flash macro until I went digital and lost the
OTF flash control of the OM system. I think I've shot one flash macro
in the last four years.

The big advantage to flash macro when doing field photography is the
increased DoF as well as the motion stopping aspect. Of course, the
biggest problem is obscene light levels...  You just can't get the
flash dim enough sometimes.

AG