Re: [OM] OT - for bibliophiles

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - for bibliophiles
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:19:07 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>  I'm guessing that there are many here who have relatively large
> collections of those old paper repositories of words.

Over 1,200 and counting, all indexed and catalogued by ISBN and
shelved by Dewey Decimal.

> When we got back form our trip, a speculative purchase from China
> was waiting at the PO.
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Long-scan-laser-BARCODE-SCANNER-BAR-CODE-READER-255-/220431775090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Okay, now you need Readerware:
        http://www.readerware.com/

When you scan a book, it will go out to as many as a couple dozen book
info sites (including Library of Congress, Amazon.com, etc.) and
assemble information about that book, including full reviews.

I think the ability to select from so many data sources and to
concatenate their info might make this more useful than BookCat.

I've exported the results to MySQL and made it searchable via a web
page. You can search my library at:
        http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/Library_search

Typing "photography" in there gives 27 books, some of which have
nothing to do with photography, but had it mentioned in one of the
fields.