Re: [OM] VueScan specs

Subject: Re: [OM] VueScan specs
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 15:47:44 -0500
> IR cleaning is turned off under which product and what conditions?

Kodachrome and B&W films (non-C41) both block IR where the remaining
processed silver particles remain.

> I would hope that it's possible to get the IR cleaning on with the Nikon
> since Piers has shown that his Nikon scanner (model?) was able to do a
> fair job of cleanup on Kodachrome with IR enabled.  I know IR is not
> supposed to work on Kodachrome but Piers showed that it does to some
> extent... at least on his scanner model.

Not very well. One thing you can do, using Viewscan, is to crank the
IR exposure up to compensate for the IR blocking characteristics of
the emulsion. Success greatly depends on the light source. I've tried
to duplicate other people's successes, but nothing to show for it
beyond novelty state.

AG