Re: [OM] IMG: From the Past

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From the Past
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:46:29 -0700
On 7/15/2010 3:44 AM, Moose wrote:

> I know some of you old flyboys feel nostalgia for these old planes. I tough
> it was the worst thing I'd flown in - hmmm,
> still do. Incredibly noisy, too cold and really uncomfortable. There may have
> been different configurations; this was
> just a big cargo bay, with sling things they claimed were seats. The toilet
> was a rubber funnel attached to a hose that
> led out the bottom.

Noisy?  A bit, I guess.  Quiet compared to a couple that I have flown
on.  The B-25 was really loud.  Straight stacks.  And then there was the
B-36.  Those six 4360s could really generate some noise.  I flew on them
for a time as an "Inflight Bomb/Nav Mechanic".   I even lived under the
landing pattern for Carswell AFB and Convair/Fort Worth once.  When a
B36 flew over, it was kind of like having the railroad run through the
middle of the house. LOL  Yeah, I remember the rubber funnel thing.
They probably had a "Honey Bucket" aboard, too.  The rule was that he
who used the "Honey Bucket" had to empty it and clean it after landing.
Most people were quite reluctant to use it.
Paul in Portland OR