Re: [OM] [OT] The 5D came back

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] The 5D came back
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 06:55:07 -0400
I find that the brush works well most of the time but sometimes it's
necessary to revert to a solvent cleaner.  It can't get the "welded on"
stuff off and I generally only test to f/11.  I've heard of problems
with the brush picking up greasy residue from the mirror chamber but
never seen it myself.  But I'll have to double check.  Maybe the mirror
pivots were greased as a part of service.

As to spotting in featureless areas, one can use the retouching tool in
ACR to do that (at least starting with CS3 which is what I have).  Just
load up the images in ACR, touch up the first one using the retouch tool
which works similarly to the clone tool, select all the other images
needing the same spot(s) fixed and then select synchronize.  Magic.

I had this problem after my big round-the-country trip.  Sometime while
crossing the desert areas of southern California on the way to Death
Valley the camera picked up a sizeable dust spot in what would be the
sky area of most landscape shots.  The skies were clear blue there and
it was a very simple job to fix with ACR's retouch tool.  I think I had
to redo one image shot in an urban area since there was a power line
crossing the source area for the fix but overall it worked very well.

Chuck Norcutt