Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:44:45 -0700
  On 7/3/2010 3:17 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> Ideally, a backup strategy includes the original, one local copy, one offsite
> copy, an a "cloud" copy using a service
> like Carbonite.com.
> Carbonite is less than $60/yr, and the client runs in the background
> uploading your files to the secure, encrypted storage in their servers. Of
> course, if you're on dialup, it's not an option. But it gets great reviews.
> It only works on internal drives,

It should work with eSATA attached external drives, as the mother board and OS
can't tell the difference. Well, there
really is no electronic difference, just a SATA cable that goes outside the box.

> though. I'm waiting until I upgrade my internal storage drive this month and
> then move all my photos to that drive, then I'm signing up.

Hmmm ... 'Twere me, I'd consider putting 'em up there before moving, in case
the movers break something.

Nice thought. I wonder if Comcast would consider moving close to a terabyte
upstream unusual volume usage that justified
extra charges? ;-)

Moose