Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 17:17:25 -0500
On Jul 3, 2010, at 17:01, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll add one more point on backup since I do backup pretty much the way
> Moose describes... which means three copies and one is stored away from
> the other two where it's not subject to fire and very unlikely to theft.

Ideally, a backup strategy includes the original, one local copy, one offsite
copy, an a "cloud" copy using a service like Carbonite.com.

Carbonite is less than $60/yr, and the client runs in the background uploading
your files to the secure, encrypted storage in their servers. Of course, if
you're on dialup, it's not an option. But it gets great reviews. It only works
on internal drives, though. I'm waiting until I upgrade my internal storage
drive this month and then move all my photos to that drive, then I'm signing
up.

Paul