Re: [OM] Oh My Heart! [was Down the rabbit hold]

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh My Heart! [was Down the rabbit hold]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 06:27:39 -0700
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Unfortunately, these sorts of
> shenanigans have a long history which goes back to to the study that
> started it all, the 1958 study by Ancel Keys called "The Seven
> Countries
> Study" which purported to show a near perfect correlation between fat
> content in the diet and CHD in seven different countries

That's like saying, "photography is bad" because one was not able to
get desired results from dime-store single-use cameras.

I've been unwilling to listen to anyone who correlates dietary fat
with ANYTHING unless they qualify the types of fats involved.

I *do* believe there is a correlation between CHD and the artificially
saturated fats found in the centre aisles of the grocery store. But to
lump all fats together is to ignore cultures where high-fat diets *are
not* correlated with CHD, such as the Inuit of the far north, or the
"Mediterranean diet."

Like all good things in life, make sure the fat you do take in is high-
quality, un-altered fat. And then don't worry. Industrial food
production *is* correlated with a number of health problems. Eat as
close to the earth as you can.

FDA assertions that raw milk is "inherently dangerous and should not
be consumed" serve as a smoke screen for legislation that helps
centralize the dairy industry and eliminate competition from small
independent farmers. -- Ron Schmid