Re: [OM] Noice

Subject: Re: [OM] Noice
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:40:47 -0300
Well, if on topic ...  I find the folowing a little bitter, albeit foreseeable.
I find it bitter that a HD with maybe fan noise would be the
front-end, and feed lossy files.
Wouldn't mind a silent solid state HD feeding .cda, .wav - but getting
into .flac or .m4a or Apple Lossless feels like getting into trouble.

Oddly, it hasn't been yet announced at Bryston's site.
Don't know about other manufacturers such as Madrigal, etc.
The following is only one of several annoucements of the product.
Note it's an over u$d 2K device, and the BDA-1
<http://bryston.com/bda1_m.html> is over 2K too - you'd need both.

<http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20008850-47.html>

I'm pasting a commentary from Bryston facebook site.
"Physical media as a delivery method for digital content is dying fast
for good reasons. It is impractical, has limited lifespan, is wasteful
from an environmental standpoint and is risky for the consumer (where
are you going to play your VHSs, tapes, UMDs, SACDs, DVD-As, ... See
morelaserdisks, etc in 20 years?)

The future is streaming of high definition content, in the case of
music 24 bit 92kHz or higher. While few people care about this level
of fidelity, the cost for delivering it is rapidly approaching zero so
it's just a matter of time before the upside (a marginal increase in
sales) outweighs the downsides, i.e.:
- an oh so slight increase in delivery costs
- eliminating potential future revenue streams from reselling the same
recordings over and over in increasingly higher fidelity (see past
examples of consumers getting screwed over with music: Vinyl to CD to
SACD/DVD-A, iTunes to iTunes plus to whatever's next. Also see the
music side: we've gone from VHS to Laserdisk to DVD to Blueray to 3D
Blueray and who knows what's next? I for one isn't buying any more
crap that is about to become obsolete and I'm clearly not alone.)

With services like Netflix, Hulu, Rdio and Spotify paving the way the
studios will rapidly come to their senses and release these
recordings. What this means for the consumer is that if you are buying
gear that you plan on using in 10 years it'd be wise to spend the
money on speakers, amps and DACs. For example a Bryston 14B SST2.

Forget about media servers and optical media players. The user
experience will be owned by rapidly developing general purpose
computing platforms like iPad, Mac, ... I'll take a mac mini with a
low jitter asynchronous USB to SPDIF device (such as a "hiface") over
a dedicated "media player" any day of the week - and in 10 years so
will the majority of people."

Fernando.