Re: [OM] IMG: Microcosmos

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Microcosmos
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 20:14:19 -0400
They're a big item with Chuck!  :-)  My two main Canon AF lenses are
Tokina ATX-Pro... 28-80/2.8 and 80-200/2.8.  All ATX-Pro (and I think
ATX as well) are heavy, metal bodied lenes and very rugged.  But Tokina
hasn't made any new full-frame lenses for quite some time and they're
being discontinued as the old stocks run out.  However, there are a fair
number of new lenses in APS-C format which also include the ATX-Pro
line.  APS-C format lenses are further designated as DX.

The 100mm and 80-400 in the link below are the last remaining Tokina
full-frame lenses.  The D in their designation means an optical
reformulation for digital, probably sensor reflection reduction.
<http://thkphoto.com/products/tokina/index.html>

And here is where all the full-frame lenses have gone to die.  The
"archive".  Not a complete history though.  That would be nice.
<http://thkphoto.com/products/tokina/tokina-03.html>

You can find a plastic ring for the hood's bayonet mount but otherwise
the Tokina lenses are all metal and glass.  But my two Tamrons (20-40
and 24-135) are much lighter (and slower) but more useful for daylight
walking around.

Chuck Norcutt