Re: [OM] [OT] Amplifier Question

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Amplifier Question
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 20:06:09 +1000 (EST)
I'll add my 3 cents worth.

First, check the power lead, fuses, and grab a multimeter
to check the globes. If you have to open the pwr amp up
to get to the globes then you might as well d/l the service
manual and check the supply rails and the voltage to
the globes.

As already stated, check the output for DC voltage which
will be indicative of major faults, doesnt matter if the o/p is
decoupled via cap or not.

Check the o/p for AC, preferably with a CRO but on the
assumption not everyone has one, then a multimeter
will do. This is to check for oscillations.

I keep junk speakers I've picked up on the side of the
road during hard waste rubbish day (Melbourne) for
testing, no way are my Vifa's or home brews going
anywere near anything to be fixed.

I also have 2 x 4ohm 50w coil resistors, and 2 x 8ohm
50w coil resistors for load testing, as well as two old Speedy
jug elements (whats a speedy jug ?).

Cheers
Ian Manners
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty.  When the people fear the
government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson