[OM] [OT] - Cobwebs in TV

Subject: [OM] [OT] - Cobwebs in TV
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:03:06 +0200
I can't remember who it was but I vaguely remember someone renewing some
transistors in their RP TV. I have a 15 year old toshiba which while
still working has got so dirty over the years that the cobwebs inside
the machine which moved with the internal fan got to annoying for me. I
am not ready to buy a new LCD TV as I don't have the money and Cai would
wreck it in a few days - although I have now seen one manufacturer who
has a glass sheet in front of the screen all the others seem unprotected
from damage.

Anyway I had noticed the picture had got rather dull but I left it
because I thought it was the transistors wearing out. Yesterday my wife
was away and I was looking after Cai I decided to see if I could remove
the cobwebs so I opened up the screen and put in the vacuum cleaner - no
more cobwebs, then I noticed the mirror and lenses were filthy so a
quick dust and the difference was amazing. No I am seeing colours that I
didn't realised existed and could turn the brightness way down.

Its like having a new TV and I can wait a bit longer to see if 3D TV
takes off and is worth it.

Sadly I had to hand back the canyon 70-200/4 - I think I will be having
a prune of some lenses to pay for my own copy.

IanW  - who is ipadless and according to my wife will remain so for
quite a while ;-)