[OM] Nathan's PAD 22/5/2010: battle of ideas on the T (was)

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/5/2010: battle of ideas on the T (was)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 23:50:13 +1200
Chomsky.

I will probably get flamed for this, so this note will be my one and only
contribution in this forum, on the topic. This year anyway.

I never formally studied politics, least of all international politics, at
University. My focus was what might now be called "earth sciences".

I first encountered Noam Chomsky in an intriguing report written in an
Oxford University term journal I get regularly at 4-monthly intervals, about a
talk he gave at the Oxford Union (UK). About twelve years ago. Prior to that
I had not heard of him.

So I followed up by buying and reading his books, starting with the seminal
"Year 501. The Conquest Continues". And I probably have copies of most of
his political historical books.

What he wrote enabled me to make sense of what seemed to me to be the
persistent meddling (very often violent) of one country in the affairs of so
many countries all around the world. Finally it all fell into place. Later I
was
able to compare what he wrote with the excellent BBC TV programmes
about the UK takeover of India (of which I actually saw only a minute
portion) and the Machiavellian schemings that went on. And of course there
were other parallels; the King of Belgium in the Congo, Spain in Peru, and
so on.

I will ever be grateful for his detailed research and lucid writing, putting
all
this stuff into the public domain. I forgive him for being somewhat repetitious
in books that followed '501'.  In my view he has to be one of the best modern
historians dealing with USA foreign policy and actions.

I don't know if he ever handled an Olympus camera.

Brian Swale.