Re: [OM] Permanent OM to EOS conversion

Subject: Re: [OM] Permanent OM to EOS conversion
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:47:16 -0400
Be sure to follow Piers's advice and make sure the diaphragm is fully
open when focusing.  It's easy to forget.  I also agree with Piers that
switching the mount to a permanent EOS mount should make absolutely no
difference in brightness... unless the EOS mount includes electrical
contacts to allow focus confirmation by the camera.  But I don't know
why you'd want to do that since it would ruin the lens for OM usage and
you can get the same function (probably at much lower cost) by using an
OM-EOS adapter that has a focus confirmation chip installed.

Use this list of search terms on ebay to find them.
     canon eos olympus adapter confirm
I don't know who is considered a good supplier these days for "AF
confirm" adapters.  Maybe someone else will make a recommendation.  I
could use a recommendation myself since my 3 adapters are not AF
confirm.  You may also find the chips separately but I wouldn't bother.
Installation is pretty fiddly to get them located just right.

Beyond that you can get a bigger and brighter screen using a full frame
camera like the 5D and 5D Mk II.  Canon also makes manual focus screens
for these cameras that (although they actually darken the image a bit)
are supposed to make focusing easier with f/2.8 or faster lenses by
making the image "snap" into focus more easily.  I have one for my 5D
but have never noticed much improvement... but that's probably due to my
faulty eyes.

Chuck Norcutt