Re: [OM] Incident Light metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Incident Light metering
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:54:54 -0500
The following photograph illustrates the type of scene where an incident
meter is golden.

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=468&Itemid=1

If I would have used the standard in-camera meter, I would have needed to
find some place in the scene which I could estimate its relationship to
midtone, meter on that place and then compensate. With the incident meter I
just turn around (facing the camera), press the button, and set the camera
to whatever the meter says. No guesswork, no worries, no chimping, no runs,
drips or errors.

A few weeks back, the Olympus Living History Farm was bequeathed a Sekonic
L-508 meter. Subsequently, the Polaris meter went to live with another
photographer. Both meters measure flash/ambient and are within 1/10 of each
other. The Sekonic has the advantage (one of many) of having a built-in
spot-meter, but the Polaris allows you to get a wider angle reading.
Functionaly, the two are identical except the Sekonic requires you to carry
a manual around with it to figure out how to use it.  ;)

At this moment (until I change it again next week), the small bag has the
OM-3Ti with a nice selection of lenses from 24mm to 100mm, filters,
lensshades and the Sekonic meter. It's really one of those items I don't
like to leave home without.

Oh, and Andrew... Next time you need to use a digital camera with greater
dynamic range.

:)

AG