Re: [OM] Incident Light metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Incident Light metering
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 08:13:23 -0500
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 7:51 AM, C.H.Ling <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been shooting slides with my OM-4/4Ti for some years without using my
> Sekonic 328F (which dedicated for flash and my Bronica SQ-A), I wouldn't say
> there is no error but for any complex situation I just spot on an object
> that I believe the reflection is near mid-tone, it "always" work.

My experience as well.  It may not be, theoretically, the most
accurate meter, but it always works for me, which is why I mentioned
this method at the beginning of the thread in response to Fernando's
photo.

I often multispot a variety of midtone objects -- because I can with an OM-4(x).

I bought my original OM-4T when I was anticipating shooting in a slot
canyon with Velvia.  Telephoto lens, often pointed nearly straight up,
all in shadow exact for patches of light and reflected light from one
side of the canyon wall to the other.  One spot reading in auto mode
and let the camera go for as long as it thinks it needs.  I would have
taken an incident light meter if I had thought it would have been of
any use in this situation.

I do think incident light meters are great tools.  I wish I hadn't
lost mine and I've yet to replace it.

Joel W.