Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experien

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experience out there?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 20:27:59 -0700
On 5/10/2010 4:03 PM, Sue Pearce wrote:
> Certainly the photo press and internet weinies aren't looking sideways even
> at the class of cameras in which the G11 resides. That's probably because a
> M4/3's camera isn't much more with greater flexibility and better IQ.

As I just posted in reply to Ken, it isn't necessarily about the money,
but about how the size, weight and features fit my needs.

> If Canon doens't come out with a replacement in the next six months or so,
> expect it to be replaced by a new camera with and APS-C sensor, which I
> understand is to be announced by Sony very soon, so let the competition begin.

Interesting apparent assumption, that something G11 size and weight can
be made with all the same features, but with an APS-C sized sensor. So a
little simple math:

G11    1/1.7"     7.6 x  5.7 mm
µ4/3    4/3"     18.0 x 13.5 mm
APS-C            22.3 x 14.9 mm

Now, scale up a lens like that on the G11 to cover the diagonal of
APS-C. Then you will see why even the small, slow zooms for µ4/3 are
relatively large and make the cameras they fit on unpocketable. Scale up
the rest of the parts that are sensor size dependent and you have a much
bigger camera.

The Oly small zoom is FF eq. of 28-84/3.5-5.6, the G11 28-140/f2.8-4.5,
both much longer longer range and a bit faster.

Or perhaps the assumption is that size doesn't matter, but it does to me
for my use. Remember, if I am out "shooting", I am carrying a FF DSLR.
The compact is "carry everywhere" and adjunct. The new Sonys are aimed
at µ4/3.

Moose