Re: [OM] (OM) Photographing bright autumn foliage

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Photographing bright autumn foliage
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:34:30 +0200
Well, Brian, if we were on the DPReview forums, or Photo.net, you'd be
flamed
to death for starting another Film vs Digital war. Since we're on a
mailing
list to discuss a film-based system, you're probably a bit safer
here :-)

Again and again I see the same thing you are seeing, although one must
admit the
four thirds bodies are less than stellar in their ability to retain
highlight
detail. A good RAW file from a Canon 1 or 5-series body will be a
different story,
in my time of shooting them, I've never had complaints. But that was
then :-)

On the rare occasion that I shoot colour film, it's always been Provia
100F
(and sometimes Velvia) for the amazing colour, punch, and smoothness.
And this
usually in 6x17cm format.

Recently, I (out of necessity, actually) shot a roll of Fuji Pro 160S
negative
film in my 6x17cm camera. To say that I was impressed is an
understatement, the
dynamic range, couple with the large format, is simply stupendous. I
can process
every shot to look like a full-on three-shot HDR from a DSLR if I want
to.

What impressed me most (with one of the interior shots I did, where
the lighting
was at least EV15 outside (bright sunny day), and it was dark inside
(EV9 at best))
was that somehow the entire scene was represented within the available
dynamic
range, with the outside colours actually still being accurate.

For the purposes of a hybrid workflow (scanning) and medium-format
film, I am thinking
of giving up slide film completely, pretty as they are on the light
table.

Of course, the argument is, that if I am prepared to set up a 6x17cm
camera on a tripod,
I may as well do that with a DSLR and make a proper HDR exposure, so I
must admit to
loving the process, and the results from the lens, even if (for a
single shot, on a tripod)
it's ultimately still more work (and cost) than doing X number of
exposure, and processing
in-computer to make an HDR.

But anyway, it's all about the B&W film for me in anyway, so what am I
talking about?

Dawid