Re: [OM] Images as the Mood Strikes

Subject: Re: [OM] Images as the Mood Strikes
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 07:34:11 -0400
The exact process will depend on the software you're using.  But if you
were shooting in raw mode and using PhotoShop with ACR (Adobe Camera
Raw) you would simply select the "HSL/Grayscale" panel used for B&W
conversions and, since the same panel is used for HSL (Hue, Saturation,
Luminance) adjustments on color images, select a check box to say
"Convert to Grayscale".  At that point the software does an automatic
conversion to B&W using its own notion of what the image should look
like.  At the same time the hue and saturation controls are removed and
you're presented with a bunch of color sliders which can vary only the
luminance or brightness of the colors that were in the original color
image.  Those sliders are not in their neutral positions since they're
already set according to the default conversion.  But you can change
them to suit yourself.

The ACR sliders are labeled Reds, Oranges, Yellows, Greens, Aquas,
Blues, Purples, Magentas.  These are your color filter controls.  But
unlike working with B&W film where you select a color filter based on a
complimentary color (red, yellow, orange for example to darken a blue
sky) since you're working on a positive you select the color you
actually want to work on.  If you want to darken a blue sky select the
Blues slider and push it left to darken everything containing blue.
Much easier and more intuitive.

If you were only interested in reproducing the effect of a color filter
on B&W film you're done.  Simulating a red filter is literally two
clicks and then moving the Blues/Aquas/Greens sliders (those colors a
red filter would affect) to simulate any density red filter.  On the
other hand, since this is a digital image you have a lot more leeway in
follow-on processing.  It could be that there's a lot of blue in the
foreground that you don't want darkened.  In that case you can "mask" or
protect the area you don't want darkened.  You can't do that masking
during the raw conversion so it involves merging two separately
converted images in PhotoShop in follow-on processing.

You can probably select a B&W image and filter effect in the setup menu
for your camera but you have a lot more control if you take a color
image and process it later.  You have even more control if you take the
color image in raw form rather than JPEG.

Chuck Norcutt