Re: [OM] IMG: walkabout in Valencia

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: walkabout in Valencia
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:11:06 -0700
On 4/19/2010 2:37 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I assume that the indigenous peoples, as with ours, would insist that they
> have always been there and did not 'arrive'. For Australian Aboriginals, this
> is a matter of religion as their creation stories
> involve their being created with the land (an important concept for nomadic
> indigenes with an animist religion).
> To suggest otherwise, such as arrival 60K years ago during an ice age when
> seas were low, will get you a VERY strenuous argument in some tribal areas
> and a strong suggestion that you bugger off back to  whitefella country
> immediately.

Exactly so.

Falling back again to my PBS special expertise ... :-)   A fellow traced
unique DNA from Africa, the Forest People, if I recall correctly, all
along the coasts of the Near East, India, down the west coast to the tip
of SE Asia and into the Aboriginal peoples of Australia. It was a major,
difficult, years long project, but he pretty much nailed it. He did
something similar from Asia, ending up in the Amerindian peoples in the
US SW.

There was footage of his attempts to discuss his findings with both
those peoples, I think. I certainly remember the US ones. The tribal
people were polite, but skeptical.

Anthro Moose