Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:17:44 +0200
On 09 Apr 2010, at 7:23 AM, Moose wrote:

> On 4/7/2010 9:53 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
>> Moose, I know that you did correctly qualify your statement with a
>> "[that] I've used", but I was wondering if you've ever tried the
>> Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L? In my time of using it, it has had the most
>> consistently amazing performance (not only resolution, but
>> especially smoothness of out-of-focus rendition) of any 50 I've
>> ever seen.
>>

> It's is unlikely that I'll buy even the 50/1.4, let alone f1.2.
> Although
> I admire many of your images, our photographic styles, interests,
> whatever you may call it, are quite different. You love very shallow
> planes of focus lovingly placed within the subject field. I'm more
> often
> looking for more DOF.

So true, we have very different styles...

>> I have a couple of images somewhere where, at f/1.2, it out-
>> resolves a 1Ds MkII sensor to the point of creating möire artifacts.
>>

> Still, it does so within such a narrow range that I'd be frustrated.

That's true, at f/1.2 it certainly does not do so over the whole image
plane. Still,
very few 50mm lenses can do this. By f/2.8, however, the rendering is
exceptional across
the frame, comparable to f/4 or f/5.6 I've seen in most other 50mm
lenses.

>> http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs26/f/2008/032/5/9/The_road_to_obscurity_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>>

> I'd have shot this @ f16 - a different esthetic. The bokeh is nice up
> the center, but a little busy/edgy for me in the rock and foliage at
> the
> edges. Possibly better than the OM would have been?

Certainly, the OOF smoothness is not as nice, I find, as the Zuiko
90/2.0,
but still rather exceptional for a 50mm, I find. I must stress, however,
that I've never used the OM 50/1.2 but all indications are that it's OOF
rendering is not quite as smooth as the 50/1.4 ?

>> http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/223/2/8/Sparkles_in_the_Big_Blue_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>>

> Fine lens performance except perhaps for a bit of bokeh edginess in
> the
> foreground sparkles. Or maybe sharpening?

It will be sharpening artifacts, this was shot at very small aperture,
everything from foreground
to background is in pixel-sharp focus in the original.

>> http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs23/f/2008/017/b/0/The_Wrong_Era_by_philosomatographer.jpg
>>

> LOL! Well, you can't say this one is about wide open resolution. :-)
> Still, you nailed the shallow plane of focus. Again, some typical 50mm
> bokeh in the hard, bright edges and darker center of the few brightish
> reflections and the hard edged "look" of the light poles. Not
> complaining, just noticing, as you had stressed the smooooth OOF
> quality.

Point taken, but again, modern 50mm lenses are rarely "universally
great"
in their OOF rendition, I find this above-average still. Also, the
resolution
on the off-centre subject (the badge) is above average as well, for an
image
taken at f/1.2, I can tell you that. Very fine detail is nicely
represented
(actual texture on the chrome surface of the badge) my sharpening was
just poor
on this long-ago image.

> Both good examples of their type. I know lots of folks like those sort
> of images, but they sort of leave me flat. Nothing wrong with them,
> just
> little or no emotional response.
>
> It may be wrong or 'nuts' to someone else, but certain images grab
> me in
> the gut, while others are just academic exercises.
>
> I go back to the same place, see the same thing, take the same image
> of
> it, and darned if I don't get a little frisson when it comes up on the
> screen. I've already got "to many" flower pics, but at least for now,
> I'll go on taking them. They bore some folks - oh well. ;-)

Nowadays, I have to wait until I've made my first test print to get my
little
frisson, but one can usually tell from a negative whether it's going
to be good.

Now 6x17cm negatives / slides, they give me a *bug* frisson... :-)

all the best to you Moose,
Dawid