[OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?

Subject: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:39:37 -0400
Thanks Moose and Carlos.   Good to know it really is a 1.4 lens. Seems
there still is an OM mystery with the odd short step from widest
aperture to next  step.  Also weird that Canyon FD needs to know the
absolute  aperture and OM doesn't.
Putting the lens on Dslr's seems to create more mysteries than it
solves.  On  5DII with live view exposure simulation mode the live
histo is waaay off while metering through the VF in Matrix mode is very
very close to spot on ---different than 5D classic AFAIK (VF metering
only available of course with accuracy only reliable wide open).  I
likely should have taken it off
Matrix metering but didn't think of it in my hurray.  Didn't even get
to the relevant question.   Jeff seem to find this behavior as well,
though CH
has not mentioned it as an issue.  I  queried Canyon on the odd
behavior, but as expected they don't give a rat's arse about non system
lenses
use on it and said so.  A Canyon lens is within a third of a stop in
either metering technique.
The 50 F1.4 sn >1.1X10**6 is still happy on my OM and  I used it last
week.  It was the first thing I bought when I joined the list and
learned about it.  Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Mike

Moose says:

The 1984 Modern Photo test of  50/1.4 #1,136,552 shows a tested
aperture
of f1.44. As the tested focal length is slightly long at 50.94mm, the
calculated aperture if it were exactly a 50mm lens is 1.4134, almost
exactly the theoretical value of 1.414. I tend to go with MPhoto, as
they were in the forefront of lens testing at that time.

Carlos says:
Be careful about metering mode: MATRIX metering (or whatever the maker
calls
it) will be confused with adapted lenses -- that _needs_ to know the
actual
aperture of the lens. Centre-weighted should be fine... except for the
widest apertures -- see below! It seems that spot metering in stop-down
mode
is usually affected by small apertures, much like a split image screen.