Re: [OM] Did any OM4ti units have a back with no film reminder?

Subject: Re: [OM] Did any OM4ti units have a back with no film reminder?
From: Andrew <renditions@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 03:22:25 +0930

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 12:41:31 +0200
> From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: ç
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Hi Andrew, John and all,
>
> From: Andrew <renditions@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> I should think the back door with smaller pressure plate would
>> certainly work, but I doubt it could be positively recommended or
>> guaranteed
>
> I'd like to know for sure, because I own an old pre-MD OM-1, but no
> short-plate back for it :-(

Hello Carlos,
I am not sure that some wires arnt crossed or if I am not reading this question
correctly at this late hour, but i don't think that answer applies to your
situation. My original sentence above I believe I was answering the question
whether a back door with a 'short' pressure plate could be used on the body of
the later and much more common OM-1(n) that has 'no' film guide lugs on the
right hand side. In such an instance I have no doubt it could be used, but i
cant imagine it can be absolutely guaranteed . Also , I wouldn't not have
thought the problem would arise very often for most people, as I would assume
that there isn't an overabundance of the short pressure plate doors in
circulation. Reading your comment it indeed appears you are unfortunately
missing a short pressure plate door! by now it seems you have it working so
this note is just for clarification :-)

>> also FWIW if you attempted to place a back door with long pressure
>> plate on a M1 or early OM1 then the door cant close
>
> Not quite... the door _will_ close, but the pressure plate will stay
> slanted. Film seems to follow it, so you'll get a unexpected tilt (!) --
> been there, done that.
>
> BTW, that ruined one of my rolls, but it was good for ONE picture... the
> tilt got the lower side of the picture (portrait orientation) focused
> _closer_ than the rest -- so with a wide aperture I could get both the feet
> (closer) and head (farther because the model was sitting ;-) in focus!

yes, I should have written a longer sentence to make it clearer, of course I
meant that door wont close without the pressure plate being displaced and thus
not performing its job (I certainly would not recommended to use it in this way
which is why I just cut the sentence short, dismissing it out of hand)..as
mentioned already the alternative is to remove the guide lugs, (effectively
making it the same as the later OM-1(n), or, if you are neat and tidy drilling
a couple of holes in the pressure plate where the lugs hit..only reason to do
the later is if you have a 'reason' for not wanting to remove the guide
lugs,e.g. to keep the camera original for example, allowing the old back to be
swapped back quickly, and obviously you need to do a very neat job.
cheers
Andrew