Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay

Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 12:39:42 +0200
Hi Ken and all,

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>More than once I've taken a picture in the 1/2 to 1 second range where
>I've wondered "is the camera working?

There's another use for the whir of mechanical shutters... unlike those on
the OM's, the Voigtlander Bessas's Copal shutter (both mechanical and
electronic) will break if one tries to advance the film while it's open. In
fact, most broken Bessas R2a/R3a/R4a (electronic shutter) are teh
consecuence of careless film loading -- user tries to wind-click-wind-click
to load, but with the lens cap on (and aperture priority) the shutter will
stay open for 8 seconds...

>However, the one thing that always
>bothered be about the OM-1 is a slight tendency towards camera
>vibration.

It mya depend on the particular unit. My very old (#182xxx) pre-MD OM-1 is
_really_ smooth, much smoother than later OM-1/1n/2/2n. I remember an old
OM-2 (with the old metering pattern) that seemed smoother than my OM-2n's.

>The OM-2S has that Rube Goldbergist sequence of sounds when the shutter
>is tripped which is unlike any other OM body, but is at odds with
>"I want it NOW" shooting.

Yes, that's a different beast with a different auto-iris mechanism -- way
smoother, but also of slower action. No free lunch, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)