Re: [OM] Re LEICA M6 Titanium.

Subject: Re: [OM] Re LEICA M6 Titanium.
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:53:52 -0400
  For a quick and dirty measurement of shutter lag time try here:

http://www.shooting-digital.com/columns/schwartz/shutter_release_test/default.asp

Its a clever bit of software best suited for testing auto-focus wonderbrick
type of cameras not film, manual focus slrs or rangefinders. Firstly most
older cameras would fall in the 15ms to 150ms range. And secondly it relies
on coordinating your finger with the instant the arrow reaches the zero
mark. That being said it is pretty reproducible. I tried it with the Nikon
Coolpix 4500 we use here to take gross photos and I get consistent results
of .35 seconds when pre-focused and 1.3 seconds using auto-focus (what a
sluggard).
  Googling a bit I found these figures from a 1983 issue of Popular
Photography:

Pentax LX = 46
Olympus OM-1 = 60
Pentax Super Program(SuperA) = 65
Nikon FM2 = 70
Contax 137 = 76
Canon AE-1 = 86
Contax 139 = 90
Nikon FG/Leica R4 = 100
Minolta X700 = 176
Canon AE-1 Program = 185
Fujica AX-5 = 190

  I seem to remember reading somewhere the lag time for Leica M's is
around 16ms.
I've never used one but I suspect it is similar to my Rollei 35. I've never seen
figures for the Olympus XA but I'd bet money it's the fastest of all.
That electro-
magnetic release usually took the photo about 50ms before I was ready
to take it.
Must have been the patented Olympus wormhole technology in the
viewfinder (invented
at the Secret Wyoming Factory) that allowed the photographer to see
into the future.

Charlie