Re: [OM] Converting RW2 to ORF

Subject: Re: [OM] Converting RW2 to ORF
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:44:03 -0700
On 3/21/2010 3:32 PM, David Irisarri Vila wrote:
> Hi Chuck ,
>
> I mentioned this because I cannot remember where I read someone was able to
> modify raw header files to make incompatible RAW files usable in some
> software packages.

This can work where the internal file format is the same, but the
software doesn't recognize the camera name/model in the header. As far
as I know that only works with software that already understands the
particular RAW format.

You idea would only work if Oly and Panny happened to share a file
format. While that would make perfect sense from our perspective, a
cross maker 4/3 RAW format, I think it is highly unlikely.

Otherwise, as Chuck says, the work of creating an app to convert one RAW
format to another seems a bit quixotic. Should anyone wish to do so, the
needed internal format info and much code would be found in Dave
Coffin's dcraw, the source for which is largely in the public domain.
<http://www.cybercom.net/%7Edcoffin/dcraw/>

Moose