Re: [OM] OMZ 200/5 and HK Flower Portraits

Subject: Re: [OM] OMZ 200/5 and HK Flower Portraits
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:36:36 -0700
On 3/19/2010 9:19 AM, Nicolas Mitchell wrote:
> Hmm, maybe I should forget it.

My last use of the 200%, as far as I remember, was a wander around the
neighborhood carrying 50/1.8, 100/2.8 and 200/5. I was pleased with
results from all three, except for close-ups with the 50/1.8 with
distant backgrounds, which had ugly bokeh.

As the tests Chuck posted show, the f5 is only a small step behind the
f4 in resolution. I can't speak to other differences, as I haven't made
comparisons. Gary says that only full grade differences are significant
in non-paired comparisons, which would say the two test the same.

At f11-16, I don't think there's any practical resolution difference. As
I was wandering on a sunny day with ISO 160 film, I was probably
shooting at about 1/250 @ f16 or 1/500 @ f11, so I doubt if the f4 would
have given different results. I like the 200/5 a lot for its size and
weight. For me, it's pocketable and the 200/4 isn't.

Anytime anyone comments on performance of these lenses, you really need
to know how they were used, supported and at what shutter speeds. Use
them on a simple tripod @ 1/30 with an OM-1, mirror lock up or not, or
an OM-2, and they will be fuzzy. Hand hold at 1/500, and they are sharp.
The vibration problem is much less at higher shutter speeds and the
"wet" human body is a good vibration damper. Same tripod/camera set-up
with a 5# bag of lead shot draped over body and lens and you're golden.
Same tripod set-up, but with with mirror-aperture prefire on an OM-2S,
4(x), OMPC or OM2000 and you will get much better results than with the
earlier bodies, even without additional vibration control, but not as
good as slower speeds as with it.

Like Chuck, below, I find the Zone-10 form of the tests hard to browse.
I've pulled down the original form and put them on my HD.

Moose