Re: [OM] E-510 "feature"

Subject: Re: [OM] E-510 "feature"
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:06:15 -0500
This might be a good time for me to remind everybody of one of the most
important features of the E-system bodies:

CUSTOM RESETS

Depending on model, you have 2-4 custom resets. These are YOUR camera
configurations that can be recalled in a couple of seconds. No matter how
twisted up you get the camera's settings, you can return the entire camera
to your baseline settings right away.

For example, in my E-1 the custom reset #1 is as follows:
ISO 100
Aperture set to F6.3 (I use aperture priority most of the time)
WB set to 5300 -1
ESP metering
Single Shot
RAW
CS2 Saturation
Contrast set to 0
Sharpness set to +2

My custom reset #2 is for flash use:
ISO 400
Aperture set to F5.6
Shutter speed set to 1/60 (or aperture priority overrides that)
-1.0 exposure compensation (to allow for my preferred flash+ambient method)
Centerweight Averaging metering (esp gets fooled when doing aperture
priority)
Single Shot
RAW
WB set to 5300 -1
CS2 Saturation
Contrast set to 0
Sharpness set to +2

As my E-1 allows four custom resets, #3 is usually as follows:
ISO 800
Aperture set to F4
Shutter speed set to 1/60 (or aperture priority overrides that)
ESP metering
Sequence
JPEG
WB is auto (usually overrode with single-touch WB)
CS2 Saturation
Contrast set to 0
Sharpness set to 0

My fourth custom reset is always an ad-hoc one for whatever I'm dealing
with. I start out with one of the above and change settings for the
conditions. Then I save this to #4 which allows me to quickly switch from #4
to the others and back again.

Olympus made a big mistake by going from four custom resets to two.

One thing to be extremely careful of, though, is that you avoid Custom Reset
#0 like the plague. This will wipe out all your camera customizations. I
also forgot to mention that control-dial preferences, beeps and
half-press/full-press traits are all stored in the custom resets.

Custom Resets are your friend. I can't emphasize enough the importance of
coming up with a baseline configuration (like a ISO 100 speed film) and
programming that into Custom Reset #1. This way you don't have to go through
the hassles of trying to figure out what is going on with your camera after
you lent it to Chuck or Moose.

AG