Re: [OM] (OT) On the move ...

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) On the move ...
From: <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 01:24:48 +1300
Boris wrote

> Brian,
> ?
> Instead of overloading this wimpy cah, you need a big burly truck like
the ones
> we have here, able to haul the household of an entire village.

Well, I made the 300 mile / 500 km journey OK.  This is being written on a
computer that's not mine.

In part I wanted to test out aspects of the handling of this cah. The road
varies a lot from scores of miles of dead-straight road, to windy tricky
stuff in hills and mountains. Some corners have good superelevation, and
others, where superelevation might be expected, have none and if taken too
fast will literally throw you off the road. Some corners are very slow. On
my last trip back there were two solo smacked-up cars where speed and
corners were a factor ( I took photos) and this trip, on a straight section
I saw a lot of rubber on the road, a boat trailer on its own off the road
pointing the wrong way, and a fi-glass boat alongside, upside down. Who
knows what was the cause? Maybe a strong wind gust. If I hadn't had another
car riding up my exhaust pipe I'd have stopped and photographed it.
Examples like that, and other places where there are fresh lines of black
rubber on the tarseal leading to some smacked-up landscape, make me tend to
be a little cautious ...

With a top-heavy load, it was interesting to see how the handling altered,
and I also wanted to see how the steeper parts were managed as I might now
tow two weighty trailers over the same route.

All in the name of getting to know a cah which has caused me some
heart-burn and might still do more.

Also in part because I had to do the trip anyway and it might as well do
something else useful ...

I might do a short series of shots to share interesting parts of this
highway with you.

Brian