Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay'

Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay'
From: Andrew <renditions@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:35:19 +1030

> Message: 24
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 03:53:36 -0500
> From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay
> To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> That ebay sale was twice what they normally go for in the USA. So yes, its
> overpriced no matter the quality.
>

> --
> Chris Crawford

Get used to it Chris, they have been selling at that price recently and will
get MORE expensive as the years go by, regardless of what 'you' think there
value is or what 'you' can afford even 'if' you wanted one (not that you do).
Other people can and are paying this for a scarce, quality camera..Mr.
Maitani's last OM masterpiece! one of the best (arguably the best) manual 35mm
SLR's ever made...the amazing thing is even at these prices IMO they are still
worth buying as a user camera and the price will hold well, as opposed to
spending the same amount on a DSLR and watching the value plummet!  or just
keep, use and enjoy and pass it down to your grandkids as an heirloom.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 28
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:47:11 -0500
> From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay
> To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Exactly. The only reason people on the list who have them brag so much is
> the high price. The camera is basically a mechanical OM-4T at 3 times the
> price (at the normal going rate, not the VERY inflated price on this ebay
> sale we're discussing). If I had the money I'd get the 35-80 f2.8 lens
> instead. I have three OM-4T bodies, don't need another OM.
>

> --
> Chris Crawford

That is without a doubt one of the rudest, most arrogant and disrespectful
things i have heard (you say) on this list. So not only are you proclaiming
yourself as 'the' OM expert but moreover an expert on the list members motives
and behaviour. Could it simply not be that they are proud of their scarce
beautiful camera, Maitini's last masterpiece (or a very nice usable camera) and
sharing that feeling on what is, after all, an Olympus OM list!

When it comes to money spent (or the expensive camera's it buys) it sure seems
to irk you and brings out the worst in you..perhaps that is something to work
on! Remember, to some folk not as well off as you, they may feel a little green
under the gills at you having 2-3, OM-4t's or a couple of 1.1million 50mm's :-)

cheers
Andrew

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 29
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:48:02 -0500
> From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay
> To: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Zorki and Leica are not made in the same factory by the same company using
> many of the same parts. The OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti are.
>

> --
> Chris Crawford

The thing is to make the OM-3Ti was very expensive at a time when the world was
turning to favour production line and machine made electronic cameras (your
apparently one of those people, which is fine, but show some respect for the
folk that appreciate mechanical cameras!). It took someone at the factory to
pull an OM-4Ti chassis off the line and build each OM-3Ti by hand, even then it
is said they were still sold at a loss...being hand made easily accounts for
the higher cost, the fact they made very few of them keeps the price high, the
fact that some people prefer mechanical cameras over electronic controlled is
just the way it is and they dont mind paying for it
Andrew

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 30
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:04:06 +1100
> From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay
> To: "'Olympus Camera Discussion'" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>> Sure, but a 3Ti and 4Ti are constructed from "the same" Titanium
>> chassis,
>
> I'm pretty sure the chassis is the same as the plain OM-3/4, Aluminium
> diecast, only the top and bottom covers are titanium.
>
> ...Wayne
>

> AFAIK I do believe Wayne is correct and that it just the top and bottom that
> are made of Titanium, although it would be easy to assume the chassis is
> built of Titanium as well, according to a booklet distributed to shops as a
> selling information aid, it says (shows a pic too) that the chassis is
> Titanium but i think this is most likely an error and should just read the
> top and bottom, hence from time to time misinformation is quoted that the
> chassis is titanium as well...unless it is! (just to keep the myth going ;-)
> hehe

Andrew