Re: [OM] 21/3.5 hood, 35/2 zuiko and lens purchasing decisions

Subject: Re: [OM] 21/3.5 hood, 35/2 zuiko and lens purchasing decisions
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:57:37 -0600
>I suppose one could get a generic rubber hood for, e.g. 35mm and get to
work with the scissors. :-)

Mark, the problem is, generic hoods usually screw into the filter ring, and
the part that screws in can jut out too far, even if you remove all the
rubber.  I have some generic wide angle hoods that will vignette even on a
35mm lens if they are used in addition to a filter.

>Well, that Nikkor is a nice lens, I still have mine from the early
seventies. Unfortunately, the Zuiko 35/2 is a dissapointment. Perhaps mine
is a bad example, but Gary Reese's tests wern't kind on it, either.

Bill, that Nikkor-O is the only reason I even kept a Nikon SLR for so long.
I finally decided to streamline to one film SLR system (OM, of course).
That's the only reason I got rid of it.  I like the 35mm focal length, but
wasn't a big fan of the Zuiko 35/2.8.  I went ahead and sprung for the Zuiko
35/2 that John H. had for sale.  I've seen great results with this lens, and
I'm eager to see how it compares to the Nikkor.  It definitely has a spotty
reputation though, and seems to fall squarely in the "love it or hate it"
category.

So I've decided to get the 35/2 and also to look for a good user copy of the
24/2.  I figure I can always resell and recoup most of my cost if I decide
they are not for me.  I'm going to skip the 21/2, as I already have the
21/3.5 and just can't justify spending a grand or more on one lens.  And
yes, I realize we're talking about a <i>21/2</i> here, but prices for that
are approaching Leica territory.  Plus, I wanted to leave enough in my
budget to be able to get a black Oly EPL-1 once they are available.

Man, just when I thought I had my lens lineup "figured out"....GAS attack!

Oh, and for the record, this is the lens hood that I had in mind:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90029-REG/Hama_HA_93125_55mm_Snap_On_Plastic_Wide.html