Re: [OM] Photographer films his own 'anti-terror' arrest

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographer films his own 'anti-terror' arrest
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:05:59 +0000
I will not take photos in london or any large uk city. I was taking
photos in the docklands (rich commercial area) with a om4ti and a
35-70mm f3.6 around me where half a dozen people with camera phones and
small point and shoot. A large private security guard ignored them and
went straight up to me and said YOU are NOT allowed to take photos... I
pointed out the other people taking photos and he said yes BUT they have
SMALL cameras... He made it quite clear if I did not leave my camera
would have an accident and I might too....

On the pother hand I have travelled widely in china over the last 10
years, some monasteries and temples do not allow photography. I respect
that because I am in their temple and not on a public right of way. The
rules are not consistent from area to area but that's life. Sometime I
get lots of help and interest from the monks.
The nearest I have had to problems is once in hong kong I set up a
tripod in a park and a park warden said I was obstructing the path and I
could not use a tripod... there was no one else in the park that early
in the morning and the path was about 3 meters wide!. I tried explaining
I would move the tripod if anyone wants to get past.... A small argument
followed nothing major just an increase in blood pressure. The only
other incident in China was a few years before, I was taking some night
photos in Shangahi and two policemen stopped a respectful distance from
me watched for a while, did not say a word and made no attempt to get in
my way or even talk to me. Nothing happened. I was using a bornica
medium format with a 100-220mm zoom which is BIG... 95mm front ~2kg.  I
guess they where just interested in the camera.

Last time I called on the uk police I was being attacked and robbed for
150 pounds and almost my coat and bag. I managed to loop my arms around
my bag and stop him from tacking it. I got my mobile out and phoned the
police the attacker was laughing at me whilst I was on my mobile to the
police he was a cool as a cucumber I could not believe it, then he
phoned the same police and said I attacked him! I bet had he done the
same thing time and time again and knew exactly what to do. Soon I found
out why. The police arrived and asked for his side of the story - he was
about a foot taller than me and twice my size. I protested that it was I
that called the police first and they should listen to me. They ignored
me and allowed the attacker to insult me multiple times and claim I had
attacked him....  The attacker admitting to stealing my money. He simply
promised to return the money to the nearest police station some time in
the future! It was clear the police did not give a damn and did not
consider it was worth their while doing anything. The police said his
word against mine and banned me from the area - because he said I
attacked him, naturally he was not banned from the area but did give my
coat back - I did not fit him.  Well I weigh 65 kg and 5 foot 6 and
don't know any self defence (probably a bad move) ! I was carrying an
mp3 recorder and recording the entire event! - the police did not want
to know. Now I would not trust the police in the uk and avoid going near
them. They make things worse not better. Now I understand why the
attacker simply laughed when I phoned the police.

James

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo