[OM] (OT) What to do with a bottle of 25yr Old Chivas Regal

Subject: [OM] (OT) What to do with a bottle of 25yr Old Chivas Regal
From: jrockman <jrockman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:06:23 -0500
And maybe the bottle is a lot older than 25yrs old. Actually the whiskey
may have started it's life as much as 100 years ago if the label is
authentic since it says:Purveyors to his Majesty King George V and her
Majesty Queen Alexandra" . Chivas is not bottled in a green bottle any
more as far as I can figure out, so this a real old bottle of whiskey,
or a convincing fake. It does have a cork with a lead sealing cap. Go to
the Chivas Regal Heritage
page<http://www.chivas.com/en/US/Chivas-Heritage/>, and you can see the
bottle and label I have. The difference in my label is that it says "
The Kings Printers Aberdeen" underneath the large "ABERDEEN" on the
bottom, and "Produce of Scotland Average Contents 40 Fluid Ozs. UK. "
between the staffs on the top(above the 1801).
My questions to those who may be in the know about such things(and this
list produces a lot of people who know a great number of things, so a
good place to ask) are three.

1) The bottom of the bottle has debris in it which I assume is from the
old cork-should I expect this to affect the taste?

2) Any ideas as to how to authenticate this bottle? I have spent many an
hour with various web searches with no results.I am hoping maybe some of
the Scottish members could be of help. I know most would not touch such
a blend, but maybe they might know something of this lesser product
which was exported rather than having its inferior quality insult the
Scottish taste buds that are used to only single malts.

3) Any idea how to get the red colored lead seal off the top without
damaging it? I have taken some off wine bottle before without damage,
but this one seems much tighter.

Sorry to reappear on this list after so many years without an OM
question, but I have none. I have slowly been getting rid of what I have
because I can not get reason quality film printing any more at a
reasonable price, in a reasonable amount of time. And have no interest
in digital because it is too damn expensive, and requires even more tome
in front of a computer. Instead, I enjoy the banter of the list, and
ogle the great pictures that those with more resources than I produce. I
am amazed each time a new TOPE comes out just how good the photographers
on this list are when they ignore the limitations of their equipment,
and just see the picture they want.

My thanks to those who contribute to the list, and to those who might
help with my quest in trying to figure out if I should drink this bottle.

Yours,
John Ockman