Re: [OM] ( OM ) Full moon on candid camera

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Full moon on candid camera
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:29:29 +0000
Hi Brian, Marc, Ken, George and all,

From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Being inspired by Nathan's two shots yesterday, by CH Ling's success with
>the 70-150,

It's a surprsingly good lens on digital, in my experience.

>and dismayed by failure of my DZ auto lens to do much useful
>on this yesterday, I decided to clip on the 70-150, and at asa100, chose
>1/160 @ f/4 & 150mm.
>
>I'm amazed !
>
><http://www.brianswale.com/zuikoholics/P1310764-moon_cr_cr.jpg>

Nice! I used the Zuiko 200/5 (rare MC version, not mine) on the GF1 to make
this (sorry for not cropping, I tried to show Jupiter as well):
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4248541212/>

From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
>However, in practical terms, I believe there's the "Moony 11" rule
>instead. Others with more experience can probably elaborate and
>refine.

Yes, but only for the full moon -- the crescent phase of my pic should be
done with a couple stops more exposure, or so.

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>I've always wanted to be a lunar macro photographer.

:-) Me too!

From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
>The sunny 16 rule itself is off by about a stop anyway here on the US east
>coast due to atmospheric haze, smog, and latitude. (New York and Wash. DC).

<snip>
>There's
>also  a lot more haze to shoot thru the lower the moon is in the sky, so
>wait until  its high overhead.

Yes. That's probably why Brian's exposure was so nice, despite being longer
than recommended by the moony-11 rule.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)