Re: [OM] flash triggering, was: Musings from the dark side

Subject: Re: [OM] flash triggering, was: Musings from the dark side
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:54:29 +0100
Hi Ken, Andrew and all,

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Don't - I use the screen then - need the hot shoe for trigger.
>I was talking about the 5D2.
>My tinkerer friend is talking about fitting the finder with a PC socket!

Probably the neatest way is something in the hot shoe to raise the finder,
transmitting all of its contacts but also the shoe-x for the pc-socket --
something like that OM accessory for the T20, I don't recall its name.

>Seening as they've followed Ricoh and have a USB triggered
>remote release, I wonder if they could manage a USB flash trigger.

Yuk, USB! I know it's useful, but...

However, I have thought about this in the particular case of the GF-1 -- I
just purchased the EVF for the enhanced stability, but I'd like to trigger
some big flash with it mounted.

First thing that came to my mind -- to use the weak built-in flash for
optical trigger. It's so weak (GN 6) that probably would add nothing visible
to a decent standard flash (say, GN 40), if only a nice catchlight effect.

But then I reminded one of the things I hate of digitals: the metering
pre-flash :-( But the neurones were already running, so I'm thinking about
using a flip-flop (I mean the sequential logical device) between the
triggering sensor and the flash -- the first dump (the pre-flash) would be
ignored, and the second dump at actual exposure would trigger it.

I have a couple of sensors around -- Vivitar and Mecalux. I might try...

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)