Re: [OM] Olympus tease...

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus tease...
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:47:07 +0000
Hi Ken, Nathan, David and all,

Ken Norton wrote:
> Shutterless sensor? Not quite yet. It's coming, but not for another
> generation or two of sensors.

Absolutely. It's the way to go, no doubt, but current implementations still
lack dynamic range and show bleeding isssues compared to the "well-reseted"
mechanical exposure from the dark -- cf. LiveView vs. actual exposure.

> Years ago I predicted electronic stabilization using overscan techniques.

And has been used extensively on videocams -- with much less resolution
needed.

From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Yep. And mine is going to Ffordes this weekend, not because of the new one
but >because I do not need a DSLR anymore.

Neither do I... even without owing a M8 ;-)

Bye, bye, EOS300D...

From: David Irisarri Vila <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>but using LiveView sensors reduces camera response.

Not necessarily...

>It doesn't really matter if shutter lag is low when the camera for
>taking a picture closes, opens for exposure, closes and the
>re-opens to refresh the EVF.

Extrapolating from a high-speed video of the E-P1 shutter (don't recall the
URL now) the time between the first closing of the shutter and the actual
exposure start seems less than 30 ms, which is less than the fastest manual
SLRs -- the OMs being around 40, safe for the much slower OM-2s and OM-40.

"Modern" SLRs, even manual focus could be very slow... like the Contax Aria
:-(

>Mechanical shutter must be also taken out from the equation asap.

In due time...

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)