Re: [OM] More recent...new toy...

Subject: Re: [OM] More recent...new toy...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:09:11 -0600

> Indeed. The shot that really proved the point for me was the three
> friends -
> http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/121580273
> It really seems to jump out of the background and has a great feel.

Obviously, the curves need substantial adjustment to counter XP2's
compressed tonalities, but the separation from the background is definitely
there.

The most aggressive dimensional isolation I've seen comes from a few Leica
lenses and my old set of lenses from my Mamiya C220.  I was always impressed
with those lenses' ability to pull the subject up and forward from the
background.  My Mamiya Press and 645 didn't have the same characteristic. A
handful of Zuikos are the same way in background isolation as well as the
lenses from the Contax 645AF.

Classic Wide and Normal Zuikos that I think qualify:
28/2
35/2
50/1.2
50/1.4
50/3.5
35-80/2.8

BTW, rumor has it that somebody other than Mamiya designed the lenses for
the twins.

AG