Re: [OM] Fwd: Shanghai camera shopping

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: Shanghai camera shopping
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:44:33 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2010 3:32:41 A.M. Central Standard Time,
sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I live  in China. I just bought a camera in Shanghai and I'd compared prices
with  various things elsewhere, so it seems worth posting some details here
for  others.

Brings backs memories of the late 60's and on into the 70's.   Camera
shopping at a Navy base in the Philippines, in the retail markets  of Japan and
in Hong Kong.  Prices were great and variety exceptional.  Bought my first OM
kit as a civilian in Hong Kong in the late 70's.    When I got out of the
Navy in 1968 and back to the States and was in  college, I ordered a number
of items including a 4 X 5 camera from a mail order  place in Hong Kong.  It
was always interesting to see how well they  packaged things.  No little
packaging peanuts, but rather wooden boxes  and little stringy wood shavings,
cardboard boxes and well sealed paper  wrappings.  I never had any damage and
things were always as  expected.  I did send some money to a soldier who
was a friend of my  cousin to buy me a couple of Mamiya TLR cameras from the
exchange in Viet  Nam.  Yes, it was not exactly legal, but I'd done my time
in Viet Nam and  was still in the active reserves, so I rationalized the
relatively slight  venture outside the rules.  He sent one, as that was what
was
available and  ordered another.  Shortly after that he was taken prisoner
by the North  Vietnamese.  When the prisoners were released a couple of years
later, I  watched with a special interest, being one who had served
in-country during this  conflict and because there was a personal connection
with
one of the those  released.  A few weeks later and rather unexpected, I
received a check  in the mail for the other camera that had not been delivered.

I clearly  felt I was not owed anything.  Memories . . .

<{B^)  Bill Barber